Thursday, October 23, 2014

Looking for an Indian

Our grandmother
 Musgrove
I began my family research looking for an Indian. I'd always heard the story our grandmother was partly Native American. So, I sent the question to a family historian. Here's part of her answer,

"Your grandmother was known as "Aunt Mae" to the family, that is how all I've met have referred to her....you ask about the Cherokee rumors. I heard the same thing growing up, but in my research, I found no connection and there is not one family member I've met who can answer that question. Sorry."


So my son and I took the ancestry.com DNA test. Our tests came back 94-98% European, mainly from Scandinavia, Ireland and Great Britain. We have no markers for Native American ancestry.

So why did our grandmother have such dark hair, eyes and complexion? The answer might come from Holland. Her grandmother's great grandmother, Anna Barbara Huber, met her future husband, Johann "John Michael" Lastinger, on a ship from Germany to Ebeneezer, Georgia. About them it's recorded in the book "The Lastinger Family of America",

"We are fortunate indeed in having some description of the appearance of our ancestor and his wife. He was said to be of typical German fair complexion with blue eyes and light hair. His wife, however, was a dark brunette with black hair and eyes and dark complexion, which coloring is still predominant, some say, in the Lastinger descendants."

NoteRelationships are expressed from the perspective of the grandchildren of Willis Edgar and Carrie (known as) Mae (Merritt) Musgrove. 

*Terms of relationship - grandmother, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.  - are used here generically to include  relatives such as fourth great grandfathers, great grand uncles, second cousins twice removed, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment