Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Last Indian Fight in Berrien County

NoteRelationships, such as grandmother, 2nd great, etc., are expressed from the perspective of the grandchildren of Willis Edgar and Carrie (known as) Mae (Merritt) Musgrove.

The blogpost "Incident at the Parkers" is about an Indian attack on our 3rd great grandparent's house, (William) Short-Armed Bill (b. 1804 d. 1865) and Betsy (Edenfield) Parker (b. 1813 d. 1895)
Announcement of the election of Levi J. Knight to
Major General of the Militia, Milledgeville Recorder, Dec 8, 1840.

In the same post militia commander Levi Knight writes a letter to the governor of Georgia the day after the conflict.  

In the blogpost Allen Raymond Williams and Sarah Ann Parker is a transcription of the story told by Sarah Ann (Parker) Williams,  our 2nd great grandmother, at her 86th birthday party. And Judge Preston Ward told his story in the blogpost  Incident at the Parker's: episode 2.  In his version, Dred Newbern plays a bigger role. 

In the article below Dred Newbern's daughter tells her version of the attack. 
Martha Newbern Guthrie was born April 10, 1836 (three months before the attack), the daughter of Dred Newbern and Betsy Sirmons. In the spring of that year, pioneers all across Wiregrass Georgia were facing increasing hostilities from the Native Americans who were being forced out of their ancestral lands. 
The skirmish at William Parker’s place on the Alapaha River, about five miles east from the Newbern homestead, was a prelude to the Battle of Brushy Creek. These hostilities ended with removal ordered by Andrew Jackson by fall of 1836. 
Here is Martha’s story, published many years ago, of the last Indian Fight in Berrien County: 
"On the west side of the Alapaha River, six miles south of Bannockburn, on lot of land No. 201 in the 10th district of Berrien County, is a historic spring that is really entitled to be called Indian Spring, were it not that another spot in Georgia bears that name.  
On this lot of land in 1836 lived William Parker, who came to this section in search of a new home in new territory. Four miles North and on lot No. 63 lived John Gaskins and his wife and four boys. Nearby lived William Peters and family. 
Four miles to the Southwest and on the East bank of Five Mile Creek lived Dred Newbern and his family (This [was later] known as the John Fender Place). William Gaskins lived further to the north where Bannockburn now is, while Harmon Gaskins lived west of the Parker Home five miles and on lot No. 172.  All this was then in Lowndes County.  
Leaves for a Day  
One day in July 1836, William Parker had to be away from home, leaving his wife, small child and daughter, just entering her ‘teens, at home alone.  Mrs. Parker and her daughter did their washing down at the river bank at the spring mentioned above, and when the noon hour came they went back to the house some 300 yards distant to prepare and eat the noon-day meal. While so engaged they heard a noise down at the spring and on investigating were horrified to discover a band of Indians, dressed Indian fashion with head-feathers, assembled at the spring getting water.  
Hurriedly and cautiously Mrs. Parker sped back to the house and gathering up her baby, with her daughter, left quickly and set out to the west toward the home of Dryden Newbern. Arriving there she related what she had seen, as fast as her fright and exhaustion  would allow, for she had run every step of the way, and she was almost overcome with heat and fatigue.  
On learning this Mr. Newbern realized that the cause of their own experiences of the night before when the horses had become greatly frightened, snorting and breaking out of the horse lot and coming back the next morning.  It was supposed that they had become frightened at the sight of the Indians who were prowling around the neighborhood to steal.  
Word Sent Out  
Quickly as possible, word was sent out by Mr. Newbern to his scattered neighbors.  The  women and children were gathered up and carried, some to Milltown  where they were placed in a strongly built gin house on the farm of Joshua Lee, while others were taken north to the home of John Marsh near where the S. B. Dorminey home is. A guard was left at each place for their protection and every able-bodied man that would be mustered returned to the Parker home and organized for action.  
It was found that during the night the Indians had entered the homes of William Parker, Willis Peters and John Gaskins and, finding no one at home, proceeded to take out the feather beds, opened the ticks (pillow cases), emptied the feathers and appropriated the ticks.  
They took other valuables including a shot-bag from the Parker home containing his money,  a handsomely flowered pitcher from the Gaskins home, and other valuable articles which they thought they could carry.  They also obtained a small amount of silver coins tied up in a rag from the Peters home.  
Indians escape from first net  
Skirting the river on the West side and opposite the Parker home, is a hammocky swamp interspersed with spots of high ground and almost inaccessible to white men; and when the little band of white men arrived at the scene just after sunrise they could see the smoke of the Indian camp-fires rising in the center of the swamp.  
William Peters was placed in command of the little band, because Capt. Levi J. Knight (in command of the militia at the time) had not arrived.  Orders were given to the men to entirely surround the Indian camp before firing a shot, if possible.  
In the eagerness of the moment, however, precautions were not observed and before the circle could be completed the Indians discovered the approach and opened fire; the whites returned the fire, and were horrified to see their leader, William Peters,  fall wounded through the front part of the abdomen by a bullet from a redskin gun.  
Overtake Indians  
This so horrified and frustrated the whites until every Indian made his escape. 
As soon as the wounded man could be properly cared for and the whites being joined by others, including Capt. Knight, gave pursuit and overtook the Indians while the last of the band was crossing the river,(sic) where the Withlacoochee bridge now stands on the Nashville-Willacoochee road. The whites pressed the Indians so hard and were so close in behind them until a portion of the plunder was thrown into the sloughs by the Indians, in order to allow swifter flight.  
Among the articles thrown away were Mr. Parker’s shot-bag containing his money, which was caught on a swinging limb and was suspended just under the water when found; the flowered pitcher taken from the Gaskin’s kitchen, and a shotgun (which was later sold for forty dollars);  also the small package of money taken from the Peters home, was found tied to a small bush under the water. The river slough in which the pitcher was found has ever since been known as “Pitcher Slough.”  
The further progress of this band of Indians and their pursuers as they pushed their way through what is now Clinch county and the engagements near “Boggy Slough” and in which William Daughtry had a horse shot from under him and Barzilla Staten was dangerously wounded, is told by Folks Huxford in  his “History of Clinch County,” published in 1916.   
The man who first discovered Mr. Parker’s shot bag containing his money was William Green Aikins.
At the end of this account is the editor's note below:
Note–The forgoing episode was related by Mrs. Martha Guthrie, widow of Samuel Guthrie, and a daughter of Dred (or Dryden) Newbern and his wife, Elizabeth. Mrs. Guthrie was blind, but otherwise in full possession of all her faculties, and talked entertainingly of so many things that happened years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment